We follow Leeds City Council Admissions Policy http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pages/Admissions-Primary-School
Apply for a primary school
Application to start reception class in September 2018
The online application form will be available to use from 1 November 2017 for applications to start reception class in September 2018.
|1 November 2017 to 15 January 2018||Apply for a place|
|16 April 2018||Offers go out|
|30 April 2018||Waiting list deadline|
|16 May 2018||Deadline for accepting offers and appeals|
|April to July 2018||Places allocated from the waiting lists and appeals held|
|September 2018||Start primary school|
Invitation to apply letters
If your child is due to start primary school in September 2018 you will receive a letter inviting you to apply before 1 November 2018.
Your address puts you in the priority catchment area for a particular school and the letter tells you which school this is. It is the school at which your child has a higher priority for admission under the school admission policy, which might be the Leeds Primary Admissions Policy 2018/19 (PDF 65KB), or might be the school's own policy.
We recommend that you include this school as one of your five preferences, even if it is your fifth preference, although there is no guarantee that you will be offered a place there.
Before you apply
- read the Leeds Primary Schools 2018/2019 Composite Prospectus (PDF 3.3MB) for all the information you require to guide you through the application process and to make an informed choice about your child’s future
- view the Leeds Primary Schools map (PDF 2.8MB)
- visit the schools you are considering applying for, information about primary open events is available on each school’s own website
- watch our 'how to' video to help you use the online application form (when it is live)
- use Find a school in Leeds for information about each school in Leeds, including their admissions policies. These will help you understand the criteria different schools use to offer places and therefore, which schools your child has a realistic chance of being offered a place at
- speak to staff in the Admissions Team to clarify any issue you are not sure about, especially about the admissions policy? If not, please call 0113 222 4414, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Alternatively you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
- consider how your child will get to school and the potential transport costs. Visit our Home to school transport page and Metro's Generation M website for further information
How to apply
The primary online admissions system will open 1 November 2018.
On your application, you can include up to five schools as your preferences. You should put these in order of your preference (i.e. your preferred school at number one, and your least preferred school at number five). We recommend you use all five preferences and include your child's priority school. This will ensure you have the best chance of being offered a local school place. Remember, this may not physically be your nearest school as different types of schools follow different types of admissions policies.
The address you provide on the application must be where your child lives for the majority of the time.
Some schools require the completion of a supplementary information form (SIF) which should be completed separately and sent directly to the school. You can find out if a SIF is required by reading the Leeds Primary Schools 2018/2019 Composite Prospectus (PDF 3.3MB). SIFs will be available on the relevant school's own website.
If your child already has a place at primary school and you would like to apply for a place at a different school, please follow the advice given on our Transferring between schools page.